One of many basic services the City of Hamilton provides are to ensure that the buildings in which we live and work are safe and sanitary, and that our neighborhoods are orderly, clean, and free of public nuisances. Our department provides quality services to our community by performing tasks involving the protection and promotion of health, safety and welfare, and environment of the citizens of Hamilton.
The civil and criminal provisions of this ordinance shall be enforced by the persons or agencies designated by the city.
- Conduct field inspections for compliance
- Enforce the city's nuisance ordinances
- Investigate complaints and possible code violations
- Issue citations and/or prepare cases for criminal and civil prosecution
Role of Code Enforcement
Performs inspections and investigates complaints concerning:
- Accumulations of Trash
- Dangerous Buildings
- Grease Traps
- High/Tall Grass and Weeds
- Illegal Dumping
- Junked Motor Vehicles
- Other Nuisance Related Violations
- Substandard Structures
- Zoning Violations
- What is the purpose of code enforcement?
- How does the code enforcement process work?
- What are some common items that are considered a violation?
- I want to report a property maintenance problem in my neighborhood but I don't want anyone to know I called. Do I have to give you my name?
- What will Code enforcement do if I refuse to comply with the City's Municipal Code?
- The house next door is a rental and the tenants are messy. There are inoperable cars in the driveway, the house siding and shingles are falling off the house. Can you make the owner do something?
- My neighbor’s tree branches overhang onto my property and are dropping leaves into my yard/patio/garden, etc. Can the City make them trim the branches or remove the tree?