Ann Whitney's memorial is located on the west Hamilton County Courthouse lawn.
About Miss Whitney
Ann Whitney, Hamilton’s Elementary School namesake, was Hamilton’s very own heroine. Elizabeth Ann Whitney had been employed to teach a private school on the banks of the Leon River. This school was the first to be taught in Hamilton County following the Civil War.
In 1867, the small log cabin school was invaded by Comanche Indians and Miss Whitney was massacred while protecting her students. Miss Whitney’s memorial monument is located 5 blocks north of town at Graves-Gentry Cemetery.